Dilettante Dramatists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planet Umbra

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Planet Umbra Empty Planet Umbra

Post  KeonaMZ 07/01/12, 12:12 pm

Sci-fi: It is the year 2629. Man has long since left Earth's bonds, and has visited many planets in his endless quest for knowledge. No matter how far he ventures into the Milky Way and beyond, man has never found alien races. Humans are seemingly alone in this vast, empty universe. In one inconsequential colony on the even more inconsquential Planet Umbra, the answer to why man has never met another alien race is suddenly--and shockingly--revealed.

(topic started for another member. You know who you are. fill in any detail you need that I didn't copy and paste. XD)
KeonaMZ
KeonaMZ
Admin

http://ladyknight4.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Planet Umbra Empty Re: Planet Umbra

Post  DraconisArsenus 07/01/12, 05:49 pm

So, plot stuff. Please note that this is not set in stone and can be changed~
What I had in mind was that millions of years ago, a swarm of monsters called Life Eaters tore through the universe. They devoured every living thing on the planets they fell upon, and they secrete substances that poisons the very land and water they touch, rendering the planets they visit unhabitable to any and all forms of life. When a planet they inhabit becomes too crowded, they move on, seeking new planets to swarm. The swarm of Life Eaters that moved through our galaxy have long since departed, and therefore humans have never found any on their travels through space. In Umbra, however, a small group of Life Eaters was trapped underground for a million years, at least until a mining operation set them free...

Relevant information about the Life Eaters: A Life Eater resembles a very slimy black leech. Over time, they acquire characteristics of the creatures they eat, so some of the older ones look like a giant multicolored mass of limbs and other random body parts. Newborn Life Eaters are about the size of a house cat, but there is no limit on how big a Life Eater can get. Generally, though the more they eat, the faster they grow. How they move from planet to planet is a mystery, though they generally do not move from a planet until there is no food left. They breed extremely fast and given the oppertunity they can devastate an Earth-sized planet in under an Earth year. They do not appear to need air to live and can pretty much live in any habitat. It is not clear why Life Eaters seek to eat living beings, as they can live indefinitly without eating. Life Eaters are not particularly hard to kill and they are vulnerable to fire and extreme heat.

About Umbra: The Planet Umbra is relativly Earth-like; it is about the size of Earth and it boasts oceans, ice caps, and large amounts of mineral deposits. Umbra is the farthest inhabitable planet from Earth that has been colonized. Only one major colony exists on Umbra so far, a small mining town called Smith's Hope. Due to its distance, Smith's Hope is largely self-sufficent, having only minimal contact with the rest of the Galaxy.

That's pretty much it for the background stuff, I guess. Feel free to ask questions and stuff.

EDIT: I was asked about the Government of the world:
All of the planets are govered by a large, overarching government, but each planet kind of functions as its own state. Think the United States, except with planets. The more isolated planets (like Umbra) are more independant from the main government simply because of how distant they are from all of the other populated planets. Due to its isolation, however, Umbra doesn't have as much technology as, say, a more accesable, densely populated planet. Don't get me wrong, the technology found on Umbra is still a lot more sophisticated than what we have today, but it's still below the level of the technology found in other parts of the galaxy.

Right now, there are some tensions in the Alliance of United Planets (which is the Government). Some of the planets want to withdraw from the Alliance and become independant. Others are suffering civil wars and rebellion. The Government has responded by increasing Police presence on all of the planets in its dominion and even moving troops into some of the more war-ravanged ones. All in all, it's a very tumultous time.

TL;DR- The farther away from Earth you are the more independant you are but the less technology you have. There is also a lot of conflict in the Galaxy.
DraconisArsenus
DraconisArsenus

Back to top Go down

Planet Umbra Empty START

Post  KeonaMZ 14/01/12, 10:01 pm

((Sooooooooo. Looks like I'm starting it! Very Happy Welcome to Umbra everyone! :3))

"California Bates: Professional Portraits in 15 Minutes or Less!" the banner screamed it's message to passerby as it fluttered above the artist's tent. The young woman muttered angrily to herself as she bolted and unbolted the mag-nails (electro-magnets) that held the tent together, trying to straighten it as best she could while fighting the wind. The Founder's say celebrations started in less than an hour, but after getting distracted by a beautiful sunrise and an even more beautiful hot shower, she was late setting up her tent. This was the time of the year that she did her best business, at least in the few years since she had made art a profession. The crowd would be filled with the young children of miners, young workers and their wives, all wanting portaits to remember the happiness of this moment. She had spent most of the day before debating whether to use a computer tablet to draw, or the traditional mediums of pencil or charcoal. She had finally decided on charcoal, for its emotional textures and messy blending. She'd always liked making a mess with her work, if only to annoy her parents. Now, it just felt right, leaving herself covered in evidence of her profession. Standing back now to admire her handiwork, she sighed at the still crooked roof of her tent. She glared enviously at the perfectly set up tents around her, all selling other services, or foods. Carnival games, dress makers, jewelry sellers, and pottery makers were surronded by face painters or temporary tatoo artists ,where a scanner could put any image you wanted on your skin for a day or so, who stood next to booths selling all kinds of food: roat vegetables, grilled steaks and sandwhiches, age old junk food like milkshakes and fresh baked cookies. And yet, she sighed, nobody else had a crooked tent.

((Honestly, I'm surprised at how well this turned out Very Happy Its so well written! Razz))
KeonaMZ
KeonaMZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DraconisArsenus 14/01/12, 10:27 pm

((It's a good start to what hopefully wil be an awesome roleplay! Let's hope mine will measure up XD))

It was hard, even on his day off, for Adrian to stop thinking like a cop. No matter how much he tried to relax and act, well, like a normal person for a few hours, he couldn't stop noticing things. That man with the miner's uniform was lingering too long at a jeweler's table, far too touchy with the merchandise for Adrian's liking. The girl with the rainbow-colored pigtails that just walked by had her hands in her pockets, the old miner sitting down by a holographic puppet show was constantly looking around, like he was expecting someone. All of these people could do the unexpected at any time. All it took was one psycho with a gun and a chip on his shoulder to turn this festival into chaos.
Stop being so paranoid, dumbass, it's your day off. Quit acting like you're on duty. Adrian wandered past the loudspeakers and the robotic servants and the 3-D displays of mining equipment to the Artist's Alley. The wind was blowing hard here, knocking over people's tents and sending merchandise flying through the air like multicolored snowflakes. Twice Adrian stopped to help a harried vendor adjust keep their tent from blowing over. Adrian passed by a display of Genuine Indian Pottery to see a slight young woman struggling with her tent.
"Need help, miss?"
DraconisArsenus
DraconisArsenus

Back to top Go down

Post  KeonaMZ 15/01/12, 03:34 pm

California glanced up from her fiddling to smile sheepishly at the newcomer. "It's that obvious, huh?" She motioned to the tent. "I'm considering just giving up on it. It just refuses to lay flat on the sides. Really, as an artist, you'd think I'd be able to deal with some abractedness in life." She laughed. "If you want to give it a try, you can, but I wouldn't expect too much if I were you." She paused to see if he would still try, but couldn't help cataloging his image in the back of her mind, already planning the shade of blue paint she would use to capture his eyes. Curse her artist's mentality--she was probably staring.
KeonaMZ
KeonaMZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DraconisArsenus 16/01/12, 08:38 pm

Adrian chuckled. "I'll see what I can do-" He caught sight of the large, colorful banner that was draped off the sides of the woman's tent that all but screamed her name. "Ms Bates." He walked over to the crooked wall, checking each bolt one by one. Each one glowed faintly when he ran his hands over them. He frowned. They all looked charged enough and all of them were in the right place. The tent should be fine, unless-
"There you are, little bastard." Adrian mumbled under his breath. "I think I found your problem. You have a screw loose, so to speak. Seems to be common among artists, you're the third one with this problem I've seen today." He tightened it a quarter-turn, and at once the tent stood up tall and proud and not crooked in the slightest. Adrian couldn't help but feel just a tiny bit proud of himself.
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

If there was one day Danielle loved above all others, it was the Founder's Day Fair. Normally, Smith's Hope was a quiet little colony. Nothing really happened here unexpected or out-of the ordinary. Most days, the colony all but blended into the red desert sand. For this one fleeting day, Smith's Hope showed that it knew how to put on a party.
And what a party it was. Everywhere she went, Danielle saw a thousand things to do or gawk at. Here was a troupe of robot dancers, seeming almost human but for the red number impressed on their arms. Here was a vendor selling antiques from Earth, there was a gentically-enhanced peacock, small enough to fit in the palms of your hands and its feathers turning every color of the rainbow. There were more people here now than Danielle had seen the whole year at Umbra, all of them almost as eye-catching as the stands themselves. A man walked by with tattoos that shimmered and moved on their own, two women with hair almost as tall as Danielle was poked through real estate catalouges, and a man with a jetpack buzzed overhead, apparently ignorant of Smith's Hope's strict jetpack regulations (No jetpacking over Town Square, punishable by a 5000 standard dollar fine). It was all very overwhelming.
Danielle wandered over to an antique bookseller's booth. It was strange to see paper-bound books instead of the digi-books she was so used to. Did people really used to read these? It seemed so ludicrous.
DraconisArsenus
DraconisArsenus

Back to top Go down

Post  KeonaMZ 21/01/12, 10:23 am

Ophelia grinned at the girl who had just entered the vendor's tent, unable to contain her enthusiasm. "Aren't they amazing? This is how people used to read! And if they were in school, they carried around bags full of them! Just imagine all of the people who've read these books!" She motioned to the "classics" table. "Sherlock Holmes, Pride and Prejudice, Frankenstein! Its just so amazing!"

~California just shook her head, amazed that her problem had been something so simple. "I can't believe it." She sighed, exasperated. "Well, thank you for your help, Mr......" She trailed off. "My name is on the sign, but you, my friend, are not wearing a name tag." She grinned, resisting the urge to bat her eyelashes, just to see how he'd react.
KeonaMZ
KeonaMZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DraconisArsenus 21/01/12, 01:52 pm

Danielle jumped, startled a bit at the girl's sudden appearance. "Yeah, it is pretty cool..." She picked up a yellowed copy of Call of the Wild and aimlessly flipped through it. On the inside of the front cover, so faded she could barely read it, someone had written 'To Jackie, From your Uncle Mark. Miss you.' She speaks the truth--sometimes the story in the pages isn't the only story a book can tell. Danielle thought. Speaking of, Danielle could have sworn she had seen that girl before.
"You work at the library, don't you?"

~Adrian instinctivly looked at his chest, where nametag would have been if he had been in uniform. For a moment he actually expected to see it there, instead of the plain black shirt he was wearing in its place. "Guess I don't, do I? That's a mite incovenient." He held out a hand to California. "The name's Young, Adrian Young. And if you don't mind me saying you're a hell of an artist, Miss Bates." She really was deserving of the label 'professional artist'. The portraits hanging around the tent were as good as some of the more famous artists Adrian had seen, but there was something more to them. The only way Adrian could describe it is they had more...spirit in them.
DraconisArsenus
DraconisArsenus

Back to top Go down

Post  KeonaMZ 21/01/12, 07:28 pm

Ophelia grinned. "Yeah, I run it. My parents joined the army, and you know what that means." Her face fell for a moment, then returned to a soft smile. "I love working there. Anything you ever wanna learn about, I can help with."

~ California smiled brightly. "Hey, thanks!" She replied, shaking his hand whole-heartedly. "If you want, I can give you a discount on a portrait. As a thank you for your help."

(they should have their own money system! PM me about it if you agree! :3)
KeonaMZ
KeonaMZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DraconisArsenus 21/01/12, 11:05 pm

~Danielle smiled nervously, putting Call of the Wild back on the table. "I've been to the Library a lot, actually. I'm pretty familiar with it, but thanks for your offer." She paused, chewing her lip.
"Actually, I guess I could use your help. I'm looking for something called-" Her voice became a whisper. "Firestorm, by Alfred Menger."

~"Eesh, all I did was tighten a screw." Adrian rolled his eyes. "It's not like I did anything to warrant a discount." Whether or not he got the discount, Adrian wasn't going to turn down the once-in-a-lifetime chance to be the subject of Fine Art. And he had to admit, he was very curious to see how this girl was going to draw him. He couldn't imagine himself looking wise or noble or anything other than smarmy. Hell, in his own badge photo, when he had been making an actual attempt to look serious, he ended up looking like that one smug asshole everyone hates in high school. Not that that's too far from the truth.

((BTW, Firestorm is a book that was written before the Galactic Alliance that is basically the Bible for the rebellious planets. It argues that there should be no one central government for the whole galaxy and predicts that eventually, if the Galaxy is united under the same government, a massive civil war will unfold and kill millions. It's not illegal to possess, but it's long out of print and very few physical copies actually exist. Owning a copy is frowned upon by those who are loyal to the Alliance, hence Danielle's caution.))
DraconisArsenus
DraconisArsenus

Back to top Go down

Post  KeonaMZ 22/01/12, 08:31 pm

California shook her head, still smiling. "Not a chance. I've simply got to paint you. how about 10 credits? I'd give it to you free, but then what would I do? I have to make a living somehow." she tipped her head to the side, putting her hair out of her face. "What do you think?"
~Ophelia's eyes widened. "And what, may I ask, do you need that for?" She had heard of the book, but never read it, having had it drilled into her head not to do so.
KeonaMZ
KeonaMZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DraconisArsenus 22/01/12, 08:49 pm

~ "Sounds fine to me, I guess." Adrian pulled out his card and handed it to California. Ten credits was still a bit pricey, but having his own beaming mug immortalized in paint was more than worth it. His co-workers would probably have heart attacks laughing when he brought it into the Headquarters tomorrow. "So, what do I do now?"

~ Danielle blushed scarlet. "Umm, it's a gift...for a friend." She muttered, turning away from the now-shocked girl. Even to her own ears, her lie sounded painfully obvious. Dammit, why did I ask for that out loud! So stupid, stupid, stupid!
DraconisArsenus
DraconisArsenus

Back to top Go down

Post  KeonaMZ 23/01/12, 07:03 pm

"Sit." California commanded, beaming as she pointed to a stool poised against the back of her tent "And then just let you mind wander, I'll take cane of the rest." She really couln't help the ridiculous grin, she was pleased as punch. She bustled about the tent gathering her supplies, and set to work sketching out a base for her portrait in pencil, before she started anything else. "You alright with charcoal? I'd do paint, but it'll take ages. I'll try to get in those crazy blue eyes of yours though." She was really just talking to fill the silence, and grimaced when she heard how awkward she sounded. Odd, she didn't normally get weird around customers. It must be the fact that she had already appeared helpless to this man, so much so that he had jumped in to save her. Not that she made much of a damsel in distress.
~Ophelia shook her head. "No matter. The library has a copy of course. Crammed in one of the back shelves of out-dated reference books, but there nonetheless." She glanced around the book sellers tent. "but if you want your own copy....." She glanced around, finding the table farthest back in the tent and began to shuffle through the books, looking for the book the girl had mentioned. She tried tp look as if she were only browsing, but failed miserably.
KeonaMZ
KeonaMZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DraconisArsenus 23/01/12, 07:44 pm

~ Adrian sat obedieantly on the stool. "I don't care. I don't know squat about art, so I'll just go along with whatever you say." doubted California could hear him, though. She was rummaging through her art supplies,a big dopey grin plastered on her face. She looked so infectously happy he couldn't resist smiling with her. As soon as he realized she was started to sketch, he stopped and tried to look a little less goofy. If he was going to be immortalized in art forever, he wanted to look at least a little serious.

~ 'Oh, it's fine, really, I mean you don't have to-" But she was too late. The girl had already pushed her way to one of the back tables and was shifting through the piles of books. Danielle stayed rooted in place, unsure of she should stay or try to purse the girl. Part of her wanted to just give up and say she wanted the library's copy, but that was not an option. If it was in the library, it was undoubtably a later edition, one that was heavily edited from the original text. Danielle needed the real book, the book she had stumbled across on Earth that had changed her life forever. And she needed to find it as soon as she possibly could. If she didn't, and her memory hadn't proved her wrong...
Without as much as a word she quietly walked up besides the girl and started going through the piles of books.
DraconisArsenus
DraconisArsenus

Back to top Go down

Post  KeonaMZ 25/01/12, 09:53 pm

California hummed a little to herself as she worked. "So, tell me about yourself. Family, jobs, adorable fluffy pets?" she requested, glancing up over the easel just long enough to grin at her subject.

~Ophelia soon found the tiny volume buried in the large stack of books. "You'll want to buy quite a few books, if you'd like to stay busy for a while" She said cheerfully, handing the girl a stack of three books with the requested one sandwhiched inbetween. "Just make sure you tell me if I need to get a copy for the library so everyone can read it."
KeonaMZ
KeonaMZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DraconisArsenus 25/01/12, 10:13 pm

~ "Unless 'adorable fluffy pets' means 'hideous bird-eating tarantula, I don't have any of those." He grinned, leaning forward on his stool. "I named her Audrey, after my lovely sister. Out of the two of them, the tarantula's the nice one." The tarantula was also the one Adrian would rather be around. With the tarantula, all you had to worry about was getting stinging hairs thrown at you if you made it nervous or getting especially pissed when it was about to shed. Audrey was pissy all of time and in their childhood had thrown far worse things than stinging hairs at him.
~ "Thanks." Danielle took the stack of books from the girl. "I'll keep that in mind." Just when she was about to leave, she hesitated. "Um, I don't think I got your name, sorry."
DraconisArsenus
DraconisArsenus

Back to top Go down

Post  KeonaMZ 28/01/12, 04:54 pm

California raised an eyebrow and tried not to make a face. Her voice came out squeaky anyways. "A gigantic spider? I don't think I could do that. But if it was nicer than my family, I guess I could cope. How 'bout the job?"

~Ophelia smiled softly "Ophelia Evans, at your service." She replied, surprised to suddenly realize that she had been chatting with a random stranger. "Nice to meet you." She tugged at her trademark braids a bit, embarassed.
KeonaMZ
KeonaMZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DraconisArsenus 29/01/12, 07:31 pm

Judging from California's reaction, she obviously wasn't a big fan of pissy giant spiders that threw stinging hairs at you. Adrian had to laugh. The real, non-spider Audrey really wasn't a fan of her namesake either.
"I'm off-duty right now, but I'm a police officer with the Intergalactic Police Force. Talk about an interesting job. I've only been on the job for a couple of years, but I think I've seen just about every way to break the law there is." He wasn't lying, either. The parts of Terra Nova he was assigned to weren't exactly the most friendly places in the Galaxy. Being in Umbra was practically like being on vacation.
~ Danielle smiled. This stranger seemed to be just as nervous as she was. That made her feel a tiny bit better. "It's nice to meet you, Ophelia." She bowed, just like her parents had taught her to. "I'm Danielle, Danielle Green."
DraconisArsenus
DraconisArsenus

Back to top Go down

Post  KeonaMZ 05/02/12, 09:33 pm

California's eyes lit up. "really? Thats so awesome! Tell me your best arrest story." She suggested as much as demanded, intrigued. "I love a good story. Usually this town is a little bit too peaceful, almost boring."
~Ophelia inclined her head in a slight bow. "Stop by the library any time. I'd like to hear about....your book choices."

(Sorry. Grounded. not a lot of chances to post....)
KeonaMZ
KeonaMZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DraconisArsenus 06/02/12, 04:37 pm

Adrian had to think for a moment. "My best arrest story, huh? I've got one you might find amusing." He grinned. "So, it was my first week on the job--here I am, a clueless newbie blundering around Terra Nova, not having any idea what I'm doing. So I stop some guy for a busted tail-light on his cruiser, pretty standard stuff. Well, I thought it was standard. When I got a good look at the guy driving, he doesn't have a stitch of clothing on except for a girl's bikini-top and a pair of boxers. Right about then I figure something's up, so I ask the guy, well what prompted him to do something like that, right? His answer? Jesus told him to burn all of his clothes except for the bikini and the boxers, go driving semi-nude in his cruiser, and spread the divine word to the 'unwashed masses.' He preached to the unwashed masses, alright, probably not in the way he intended. The guy ended up not having a valid driver's liscene, out of all things. He wasn't too happy about that. I guess Jesus didn't tell him agents of the divine word can get arrested."
Adrian had told that story a thousand times and it didn't get any less funny. He would forever have the Bikini Man's image blazed into his memory forever--for better or for worse.

~"Oh, normally my book choices aren't so...adventurous. I usually stick to romance novels." She walked over to the start of the checkout line. It was moving slowly compared to the other lines around the fair. Danielle guessed that was because these antique books didn't have price chips embedded in them.
"You'll probably see me at the library before too long." She said. "I go there whenever I have some spare time."
DraconisArsenus
DraconisArsenus

Back to top Go down

Post  KeonaMZ 06/02/12, 05:59 pm

California burst out laughing. "Thats ridiculous." She replied, almost not believing him. "a BIKINI?" She shook her head. "Reminds me of this lady I almost did a protrait for last year. She wanted me to paint a portrait of her and her son as Mary and Jesus, except that he was an ugly creep covered in tatoos, and she's had more face-surge (surgery) than anybody I've ever seen. I told her I wouldnt do it because I was buddhist, just so I wouldn't have to paint her."
~Ophelia smiled. "Good. I'd love to see you." She nodded again, and headed for the door, waving before she left the tent. (So.....now what? Razz)
KeonaMZ
KeonaMZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DraconisArsenus 06/02/12, 08:19 pm

~"Oh wow. And I though Bikini Man was awkward. I feel just a bit disappointed that you didn't want to paint them. That might have been the most unintentionally hilarious picture in the history of the 'verse." Adrian stretched, trying to get a look at the canvas. "Speaking of paintings, how's that one coming along?"

~ "Oh, alright! Bye!" Danielle waved back, but the girl had already left. "Well, that was interesting." She muttered under her breath. At least she had found what she was looking for, and had made a new friend in the process. (DUDE I DON'T KNOW QUICK INTRODUCE ONE OF YOUR OTHER OCS)
DraconisArsenus
DraconisArsenus

Back to top Go down

Post  KeonaMZ 17/02/12, 08:38 pm

Cali squinted at the picture, nodded, then turned it to show the subject. "Whatcha think? Pretty good huh?" She had drawn him looking sly, one hand under his chin, with his face serious, but blue eyes sparkling.
KeonaMZ
KeonaMZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DraconisArsenus 17/02/12, 11:38 pm

Adrian raised an eyebrow. "You, madam, are truely a master of your craft." This had to be the best-looking picture of himself he had ever seen. Cali, he thought wryly, deserved the title of artist.
"Wow, it looks amazing." He said. "I don't know if the pitiful sum of money you charged is enough for this magnificence. Perhaps I could tell you another amazing arrest story or something."
DraconisArsenus
DraconisArsenus

Back to top Go down

Post  KeonaMZ 24/02/12, 09:54 pm

"Sounds good" Cali grinned mischevously. "Tell me about the cutest girl you've ever had to arrest."
~Mark hurried down the rows of tents, looking for his new senior officer. He had just been accepted onto the squad, and his first task was to track down Adrien.
KeonaMZ
KeonaMZ
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next